Thursday, May 7, 2009

Todays Thought.

In an effort toward blogging more regularly, I'm going to try make entries brief and succinct.

Today, I'm working on my studio project, which has me thinking about what I mentioned in my last blog; the ways in which people construct their own identity.

So far from what I've learned, going through this whole process of getting referred to a clinical psychologist, there's a affective connection between thought, feeling and action/event. So basically, if something happens to you, the way you THINK about it, will affect the way you feel about it. But also, if you feel a certain way it will affect the way you think, and what you DO because of those thoughts.

So anyway, point of the story, I wonder whether the identity people create for themselves, these little superficial embellishments and put-on behaviours, are any less "real".
And if you can really affect the way you feel and behave through what you THINK, does that mean that all your thoughts can be determined by what you think you SHOULD think (in terms of denying negative thoughts in favour of healthy thought patterns, even if you've learnt to have a negative view on certain things through experience or different values)? Wouldn't that mean that you don't really have a true sense of self because if you can change how you think and how you feel and how you act, and its all meant to be a healthy way of going about life, aren't you really just changing your whole persona?

2 comments:

Sean said...

Claire,

I had to read this post a few times as I somehow managed to lose myself around all of the times the word "think" was used.

I have a hard time really relating to the post, because it's tough to really know whether or not I embellish my online persona. I would like to think that I don't, as the stuff that I do put up on the web, either via facebook or through my blogs is all true. There are some obvious jokes that I throw in, but I hope that my audience can pick up on them and not take them as fact.

Because people can change the way they think or feel to me doesn't mean they don't have a sense of self. Perhaps they've just discovered more about themselves than they knew before...if that makes sense. Whether that changes their persona, I would guess is dictated by what sort of things they discover about themeselves.

Perhaps I missed your point and went down a completely different path than what was expected...eitherway it was a good read!!

Little Ms Blogger said...

I agree that many people put up a shell or have may have a tendency to do things to please others. But, that changes as you get older.

At some point, you remove the masks and be who you are. Maybe that doesn't happen with age, but when you like yourself.

It is hard to explain to many to just be yourself, but if you do, you'll love the people you attract in your life.