Wednesday, May 6, 2009

So, Big Suprise.

That last one did a number on me. I mean, that kid fucked me up. But..it'll pass, they always do. This one just makes it difficult because he insists on hanging around. After relying on him so much I can't quite muster the heart to tell him to go jump. But we will see. I refuse to think anymore about it today.

Basically, a bit of an all time low happening. I'm so inundated with uni work and actual paying work that writing is taking a backseat for now. But I'll get back into it soon... After losing the plot a little over the past few months.. I have my first appointment with a psych tommorrow, I'm hoping to avoid medication, and I think that should be a successful mission and life will hopefully return to normal.

Anyway, I'm working on some pretty interesting stuff in my studio class at the moment, stemming from that project around that nightlife/cultural suburb project. Here's the outline for my semesters work.


My work for this semester deals with the idea of “Constructed Identity” and how this functions as a mask or armour. Constructed Identity is the behaviours, attitudes and appearances that a person “tries on” in order to protect themself, and make themself more appealing or interesting to other people; it is a way of beautifying and enhancing their everyday character. As such, Constructed Identity can be seen as armour, or a mask. Youth Culture especially utilizes this superficiality in their social engagements, through embellishing and exaggerating their character.

This includes but is not limited to
• Makeup and fashion/style.
• Expressions of aggression to illustrate a sense of strength and righteousness, superiority.
• Expressions of sexuality to illustrate a sense of desirability and worth.
• Engaging in “mob mentality” behaviour, such as reckless sexual decision-making, substance use, or on the tamer end, clubbing or participating in a “scene”.
• Social Networking – Online.

1 comment:

Ellie Great said...

Great blog.

Could you please vote for my son http://gomad.co.nz/contestent.php?id=84

Thank you.